MANASSAS, Va. (March 27, 2019) – The National Safe Boating Council (NSBC), National Water Safety Congress (NWSC) and the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) announced the International Boating and Water Safety Summit (IBWSS) Communication Award winners during the IBWSS Awards Luncheon on March 27, 2019.
Previously named the Media Campaign Contest, the IBWSS Communication Awards recognize the outreach efforts of boating and water safety organizations, agencies and groups for their creativity in communicating with the public about safety on the water. Recipients were recognized in the Corporate Social Responsibility, Platinum, Giveaway, Digital, Print and Public Service Announcement categories. Each winner will receive a discount code towards their 2020 IBWSS registration.
“We were inspired by all of the innovative and original entries we received for the media campaign contest,” said Peg Phillips, executive director of the National Safe Boating Council. “This year’s award winners have done a remarkable job of developing communications to promote boating and water safety throughout the country.”
The 2019 IBWSS Communication Award winners by category include:
- Corporate Social Responsibility: Paddling.com strives to be the best resource for canoe and kayak paddlers and a community for paddlers to share ideas and get advice. Paddling.com grew from a small site with a few features to a comprehensive resource for all types of paddling information used each day by thousands of paddlers. With over 22,000 canoeing and kayaking launch sites on the Go Paddling app and website, hundreds of thousands of boaters every year are impacted with an important life-saving message: always wear a life jacket.
- Platinum: Great Calusa Blueway encouraged recreational boating safety while promoting a fun boating lifestyle and opportunities in Lee County, Florida on the Facing Waves television series.
- Giveaway: Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries for their Paddling Towel, with a checklist of things to consider when heading out to enjoy a day paddling on the water.
- Digital: California State Parks Division of Boating and Waterways with California Coastal Commission for their Safe Boating Clean and Green Online Quiz. More than 10,000 boaters completed the quiz during the pilot program.
- Print: Water Sports Foundation for their “Life Jackets and Seat Belts Save Lives But Only If Worn” Print Ad. The print ad anchors the campaign pointing out that life jackets are no different than wearing a seat belt in a car.
- Public Service Announcement: Minnesota Department of Natural Resources for their Minnesota Twins Joe Mauer Radio PSA. Research found that 70% of all Minnesota Twins fans are active boaters. The radio PSA reached over 702,000 people.
Learn more about the IBWSS Communication Award at www.ibwss.org/communication-award-recipients.
About the National Safe Boating Council
Established in 1958, the National Safe Boating Council is the foremost coalition for the advancement and promotion of safer boating through education, outreach, and training. For more information about NSBC programs and professional development opportunities, visit safeboatingcouncil.org.